0
 Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says his preference is to remain focused on the Arsenal job
Arsene Wenger says he would prefer to stay and focus on Arsenal rather than eyeing the vacant Barcelona job this summer.
Wenger, in the final year of his contract at Arsenal, has been linked with succeeding Luis Enrique at the Nou Camp after the Spaniard announced his end-of-season exit in a
shock revelation on Wednesday.
Arsenal's failings this season have led to some calls for Wenger to move on — but he says his 'preference has always been the same and will remain the same'.
Wenger said: 'I'm not looking for jobs in other clubs or jobs of other people. I just focus on me getting to the next level and trying to improve.
'Competent managers always try to improve and see what they can do better and reinvent themselves — that's what I try to do, that's basically it.
'I've been here for 20 years and many times had the opportunity to leave I don't think I have to convince you that my preference has always been Arsenal.
'But I'm objective and lucid enough to take the right decision for myself and the club as well; the club is free to make the decision that it wants.'
The Frenchman refused to comment further on the news that he had rejected a mega pay-day offer from the Chinese Super League in recent weeks — instead choosing to focus on the job at hand at the Emirates Stadium.
Wenger is preparing his team for a key Premier League trip to Liverpool on Saturday, with Arsenal trying to recover from their recent big-game difficulties.
The Gunners were beaten 3-1 at Chelsea last month and followed that up with a 5-1 hammering at the hands of Bayern Munich in the Champions League.
Their manager has called on his players to show a 'desire to fight' in a battle against a Premier League top-four rival at Anfield.
'When you have a bad result like that (in Munich) it plays on your mind,' Wenger conceded. 'You just have to focus on the way we want to play and the desire to win, to fight and to take the opportunity you have to show your quality.
'After our recent history being negative it doesn't help but you have to be strong enough to deal with that.'
He added: 'They owe themselves a performance, these are quality players.'
Mesut Ozil is a doubt for the trip to Anfield after missing training on Wednesday with illness, although Wenger suggested the German playmaker 'should be okay' to play.
Laurent Koscielny and Aaron Ramsey, who have trained with their team-mates this week, have been passed fit to play.

(daily Mail Sports)

Post a Comment

 
Top